Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Some thoughts on Christmas

I think I have said before but Christmas is my FAVORITE holiday.  I love the colors, smells, decorations, shopping, family, food and etc...
Christmas with children is fun...and challenging.  Trying to capture the true meaning of Christmas is a hard thing in all of our hearts but especially in a child who LOVES the presents, the lights and the junk food and etc.  All of those things are fine and dandy but if they replace the true excitement over a Savior being born then they really are all meaningless little idols in our hearts.
What's annoying as a parent.  Christmas programs.  As Darby and I were watching one the other day I was just so disappointed, but not surprised. 
So here we go, seemingly against the grain to teach her:

the point of Christmas: Jesus' birth
the miracle of Christmas: God in the flesh (born of a virgin)!  come on ppl that is a big deal!
the "magic" of Christmas:  personally I don't care for the word but I would just refer to last statement
what to believe in: why Jesus is the son of God of course sent to save

I'm so confused...this program had not a single mention of Jesus but they taught that when something is wrong all you have to do is believe in the magic and miracles of Christmas.  It's so shallow and fluffy really.  I'd like to ask people who live this way,  what do they do when something goes wrong in January?
Another one we watched recently made it seem like the only way Christmas is "magical" is if you believe in Santa... oh me oh my

So now I feel like singing/praying some of the words to "Onward Christian Solider".
Just continuing in the faith and praying for God's mercy on me and my children and for the people around me.
And thankfully and joyfully with Jesus' cross before me.




"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of the world rather than on Christ."  Colossians 2:8


1 comment:

  1. oh beth! you are going to have to be one of His
    soldiers to counteract all the pretend in this
    world. when "the polar express" came out, my
    spirit was so grieve.

    "only believe" . . . in what? santa?

    keep up the good work. your daughters will be
    very grateful someday.

    so sorry you don't have a tiny tree. :)

    ReplyDelete

Word Up!